Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Christchurch Quake February 2011 - Week 5

A new normal
For many people life is nowhere near normal, and won’t be for a long time.
One friend lives and works in the central city and is still not in her own home. Others have finally got power, but will be using chemical toilets for some time. People have moved away and some are staying away and some are coming back. Many people have lost their jobs, with little hope of getting another in the short-term. The city that normally shines, is dusty and grey in parts, though parts are still beautiful. Cars are coated in grey silt, and we allow twice the normal travel time, or more. We are warned that everyone is living with a high level of stress and to try to be gentle with others and ourselves.
Daily Life for us
However, for us, life is mainly less convenient, interspersed with aftershocks and gaps in the landscape. And we have a trip to Utah to take us away from it all for a while, and Jessica’s arrival and Jonathan’s party (second attempt) to look forward to after that.
Jonathan and Mark are back to going to the gym three times a week, and Jonathan was very happy to be back at his jazz class twice a week at Hagley.
I managed two runs this week, and a game of tennis and one bike ride to work. I feel much better. Running really clears my head and helps me to think things out. I count it as work time (or I would if I did actually count my time at all) as I get so much done in my head on the way round my route. (About 35 minutes).
I work from home now, which means I do stuff on the computer to give the students, and check that they are doing their work. Delightfully, they are! Gives me a warm glow to see it, it does. I gave another lecture out at Lincoln, and looked after a couple of tutorials during the week. I finally got the pay sorted out for my tutors, which had been a major headache and worry. I had another trip in to my office, wearing hard hat and high visibility jacket, led by a rescue team member, and given about 10 minutes to collect what I could carry. I was very happy to get my university laptop and screen, so I can now fit more than one application on the screen at one time. It was also nice to see my colleagues again as most of us were in the same expedition. We have been told we will not be back on our building until next year, which probably means longer than that. I’ve heard the floors were damaged.
Shopping
On Friday I decided I probably did need to buy something to wear to William’s wedding. We fly out to Utah on Monday, so it was rather last minute. I just didn’t want to buy anything in my post-earthquake size, but I realised that it was going to have to be. Mark went above and beyond the call of duty and came with me and made sensible comments. I was so happy to have him there. We didn’t get anything though so I went back on Saturday. The traffic was amazing. I have never seen it like that in Christchurch, except Feb 22, but that was extreme. The problem is that there are two malls out of action, and the central city shut down, which is putting a lot of pressure on the west side of town, at Westfield and Northlands. I was so relieved to get home, finally, with a new red top to wear with a red jacket and black skirt. Very Canterbury. During the week the traffic flows are unpredictable, because of broken and closed roads, and different times for schools who are doing double duty.
A night out
Last night we went out to dinner with my sister and husband and my mother. It was paid for by my Aunt Ann who lives in London, and it was a wonderful night with great food and great company. Thank you Ann. We were celebrating making it through the earthquake in one piece. We went out to Rangiora, thus avoiding bumpy roads and difficult traffic.
Linda is very busy at work as she is a physiotherapist and they are treating some very bad injuries. Her husband, Des, is out of work at present, as the cafe he works in is in the Red Zone. No one is looking forward to getting back in, as there is still food sitting on the table from a month ago, and one doesn’t like to imagine what the fridges and freezers will be like after this time without power. I’ve heard the smell is bad, and rats are having a good time in the city. It sounds like a scene from “The Survivors”. Gradually the cordons will be reduced and parts of the city will have access given, but it will be months before some parts are safe enough. Going back will be traumatic for some too.
Church
Today at church we were told to think of the Opawa chapel as our home now, as Avonside Chapel will be out of action for at least two years. I suspect it may never be rebuilt. A lot depends on what happens to the broken suburbs out that way. If the people all get moved, then there will be no need for a chapel. We won’t be having Stake Conference in one place either, as neither of the chapels is big enough and there are few venues the right size in Christchurch at present. It is a very happy thought that no one in the church in Christchurch was hurt badly or killed. Many have lost their homes, and many are working from other places, but all are well.
Blessings
I feel greatly blessed, especially today, which is our silver wedding anniversary. We have taken a raincheck on celebrating it as there is too much going on . I have a warm, sound home, with electricity, functional plumbing, and running, if not drinkable, water. I have a job that continues to pay me well, even when I am less productive than usual. All my family is safe and well. We live in a city that is beautiful in many parts and will be beautiful again. These are no small blessings, and it will be a long time before anyone from Christchurch takes them for granted.

No comments: